As I am sure many of you do too, I have to take a lunch in to work. My office is in the middle of an industrial estate, and although I sometimes treat myself to posh sandwiches when I am at one of the branches, for the everyday I have to cart my lunchbox in to work.
This poses a problem for me as I am not really a fan of traditional lunch foods, I am not big on sandwiches, crisps etc. I have to get creative with my lunch food, and recently this is a meal I have been packing into my tiffin and taking into the office.
Succulent chicken and crispy bacon with a slightly spicy coating is kept fresh with a soured cream, lime and coriander dressing, and the odd chunk of avocado keeps the texture party going.
You will need:
1tsp of each, Paprika, Ground Coriander, Chilli powder, Cayenne
2tsp of each Dried Oregano, Smoked sea salt, caster sugar and Garlic Powder
Mixed salad leaves
Cooked chicken, I use roasted chicken (roasted specifically for my lunches)
1 Ripe Avocado
2 tbsp Soured Cream
3 tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil
Small bunch Coriander
Juice of 1/2 Lime
- In a pestle and mortar grind up your spices, the measures here are probably enough for 3 or 4 salads, I like to make a big batch of this and store it for fajita's. make sure your sea salt is smoked, it adds an extra layer to the flavour.
- Take a small frying pan and over a low heat, cook your bacon. Make sure you cook low and slow to make it crispy.
- Prep your dressing, in a jar or sealable container add your soured cream, oil, chopped coriander and lime juice. Season, then shake.
- Once your bacon is cooked, add the chicken to warm through and a spoonful or two of your spice mix. Let it soak into the fat for a second then stir, coating your meat.
- Place your salad leaves in your bowl or lunch box, slice your avocado and drizzle a couple of drops of left over lime onto it.
- Place your avocado on your lettuce, and pour over the seasoned meat. If eating straight away drizzle with your dressing. If not, pop some of your dressing into a mini jar and tuck into your lunch box.
- Enjoy a luxury salad while everyone else tucks into jam sandwiches :)